Tuesday 22 October 2013

Macbeth- Character Analysis

I am playing the Scots Doctor. He is the castle's personal doctor especially for Macbeth and his wife.
In this scene, my character was called by the Gentlewoman to figure the problem Lady Macbeth has been dealing with in terms of her sleepwalking and talking in her sleep.

My character feels worried about her because this is the first case of sleepwalking that has ever been reported to him from the castle. He is also concerned about how Lady Macbeth will come out of this activity proven by this line, and quote "More needs she the Divine than the physician" and also and I quote "This disease is beyond my practice". But also feels confused when he heard the things she has been doing. The first line meant that she do not need a doctor's assistance, she needs God to help her and the second line means that he is not qualified to deal with this kind of issue. His objective in the scene is to try and figure out the problem Lady Macbeth is having.

My character in this scene is talking about Lady Macbeth. He is inquiring from the Gentlewoman more information about what she has said and things she has done in his absence.

When I am moving onstage, I am upright, but I do not come across as too elegant. I move my hands around quite often when explaining a point. I am very light on my feet as I have a higher status than any other doctor in the country.  I have a an average level of status, in which case, I move around with more certainty and purpose than I would normally. Universal Themes are themes which can affect anyone, anything and at anytime. Here are some examples of Universal Themes.
Love
Hate
Life
Death
Pride
Good
Evil

There are a few Universal Themes included in my play. In my play there are; Death, Hate, Pride, Jealousy, Envy, Evil and Death.




In those times, a doctor would normally be dressed like the man in the above picture. Doctors in that era were mostly middle or lower class people. That's the reason for their poor dress sense.

In the scene, my character has a pad and a pen to take notes. If I was a doctor in Shakespeare time, I would be using a pen like this to take notes. This pen is used by dipping the tip in ink and write on the scrolls. This is done every time ink is needed.

In Shakespeare time, books were not present. As a result notes would be written on scrolls and placed in a safe place where it can easily be found. This is what I would be writing on if I was a doctor in that era.




No comments:

Post a Comment