Friday 14 February 2014

Castings and Star Wars

 

Castings and Star Wars


A main part of the film and TV unit is the castings for film and TV. Alex gave us a short lecture about the difference between auditioning for a play and for a television series or a movie. He said in the casting for film, it is not a audition. They will ask for your headshot when your called and then they will start will the castings. Alex said that they will probably ask the actor the night before to learn the a piece of text and they are required to have it learnt and prepared for the casting.

Alex wanted to give us a experience of how it would be like. He used star wars as the film we are auditioning for. He gave us our times when we are meant to have our audition. When I went for my audition, Alex told me to stand front of the camera and stand still. After, I was told to sit down and given a script from Star Wars to see if I can sight read. Tyler was other character and we did the scripts. After I was after finished, he said thank you and told me to leave.

In this experience, I have learnt a lot. I learnt about the major difference between a theatre audition and a film casting. 
They are more focused on how the actor looks and how prepared you can be in a short period of time.


After we did a another casting workshops, not for a film, but it is for a business pitch, The Apprentice. We were not told about this. The teachers planned this and told us we will be only doing the pitch. When we were told about this, I was a bit angry because I was not prepared for it and I thought We were not going to do the pitching any more. Then we were told that we are still doing the pitching and I felt better. I was annoyed because of the hard work I put into the preparing the pitch and I thought it would not have been done. This is where we are apprentice businessman and we are looking to get a partnership.

I was told to enter the drama studio. After, Yusuf said I should put my C.V. on da table and then do a character profile and after he threw a ball at me and told me to throw it back. Then he said I should act like am trapped behind a wall. Then he said I should kick myself through the wall and say '' my name is Bicton Watson and I work for Apprentice UK. I did it and he said I should do it again, but this time with more exaggeration. I did it as he asked and he said thank you and I left.

I learnt a lot from this experience. I learnt that when it comes to castings, they can ask you to do a lot of bizarre and unnatural things to do and I should be comfortable to do it. Also, I also should expect anything so I should keep focused throughout. Also, smile, because if I go in with a serious face, they will think if they would really want to work with me. Even if I am a nice person, they don't know that. I learnt that they judge from what you give them in the castings so, its best to give them your best. That is what I have learnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment