Wednesday 12 February 2014

Pitching and Editing

Pitching and Editing


At the start of the year, we were told to get into groups of two and create a pitch advertising a product we have designed and made. Charles and I decided to be in a group together. We decided to do a pitch about a healthy drink which gives you energy and rehydrate your body very quickly. We decided to use football as a means to advertise this product. We talked about most energy drinks and the fact they all contain a toxic chemical called aspartame. We found ingredients that would be natural and contains chlorophyll which is good for the body. We decided all the ingredients will be blended together and no artificial flavours or chemicals added. I did the story board while Charles did the mood board. Our idea was that a football is being played and Team A is losing by half time. Team A drink our drink while Team B drink water. By the second half, Team A turn the match around and win the match. We decided that the drink enabled Team A to win the match. I drew and coloured in pictures of the football match for the story board. Because the drink is classed as a green, all of the ingredients are fruits and vegetables. We did a pitch for the drink and we got feedback that the idea we have in using football to promote the energy drink was a very good idea.


At the start, we were given the task to plan and design a pitch to promote Leyton Sixth Form College Pierce was off because he was mourning the death of his grandfather. In my group, it was Yvonne, Claudia, Pierce and I. In the planning process, we came up with the idea that we would film the college like a normal college day from the entering the college in the morning, to leaving after college is finished and also showing some of the enrichment programs. We allocated different responsibilities for each member of the group in which mine was creating and designing the story board. It was difficult for me in a sense. This was because I needed to wait for the script to be completed which was Yvonne's responsibility, in order to figure out what the story of the video is and the order it will come in. This took a bit longer than imagined, so as a result I asked her what the script is and she told me verbally and I wrote down what she said. I then started to draw the story board. The first shot would be of the College, the second would be of students entering the main doors, and the others would be showing different departments and their best aspects. I struggled to get colouring pencils, but on the day of pitch, I borrowed a few and coloured in all the drawing s that was left to be coloured.

In the pitch, we were being judged by Kevin Watson, the principal of Leyton Sixth Form College and the person who decides whether our pitch gets to be the chosen one. In the pitch, I started i was really nervous when Prince started introducing our presentation but as we got more into it, i felt more comfortable. After Prince concluded his introduction, He showed the mood board and explained our idea of using a normal college day in our advert to promote the college. I took over from Prince showing the story board and explaining the type of shots we need and what departments we decide to shoot.  Then we were asked questions about our idea. One question that came from Kevin Watson actually made me think. He asked us if we are going to follow one student on their normal day or change to different students. I answered by saying that because everyone does different courses from each other, we will choose students from all departments to follow. I think we handled the pitching very well as a group and I fully enjoyed the experience I had with pitching.

Creating and editing the advert

We were given the task to create an advert to promote the college showing the college's best aspects. We had to go around the whole college to different departments to get shots. For some of the work, I went to university interviews which impeded me from being involved with some of the shots like the science department. Yvonne would simply disappear and could not be found. I came back from my interviews and ask Prince about the filming process and he said that when Claudia and I went our respective interviews, Pearce would complain that we don not come in to do work. After, he did not even asked why I was absent. He kept it to himself.

On Friday, I was worried about the work and the fact that I have not seen any filming done when I was absent and It was due on Monday. So I asked Prince again if there was any filming done and if there were, when are we going to edit the video. He said the filmed and Pearce knows where the camera is. I asked Pierce where the camera is and he replied saying that Steve has it. I asked Steve and he did not find it. He said it is probably borrowed by other students. As a result, we decided to use a phone to film again. We used the best camera possible which was on Pierce's phone. Pierce, Prince and I walked around the college and filmed the art department, the sports department, a drama lesson, the street, the gym and students going about their college responsibilities. We went to the editing suite to edit our video with a backing track and caption. We had difficulty uploading the video unto the Mac. Because Shabill and his group started editing before we did, I suggested that Shabill could give us assistance uploading the video. As stubborn as pierce is, he refused and said he'll try another method to upload the videos. He tried and with every attempt, he failed to upload the video. I suggested a second time to let Shabill help us and he refused and said he is going go to the hub and send it to his email address. I could not do anything because it was Pierce's phone that had the video. Later in the day, Prince called me and said that Pierce decided to go home and edit the videos on his computer. On Tuesday, after the due date, I asked if the video was edited and Prince told me that it was not edited. I have not spoken to Pierce since.

No comments:

Post a Comment